The purpose of the Research Assistant Program is to:
- Develop research capacity within the Northwest Territories (NWT); and
- Promote the hiring of NWT residents as research assistants on projects taking place within the territory.
The Research Assistant Program provides up to $2,500 per assistant towards the wages of a NWT resident hired as a research assistant. We welcome applications from any researcher in the health, social, applied, physical and natural sciences wishing to employ NWT residents in their research program.
Successful proposals will detail a specific plan to provide a meaningful experience to the research assistant(s) and how they will be used to further the applicant’s research goals. Projects will have well-defined, methodologically sound, research plans that are considered achievable within the proposed budget, timeframe and personnel resources of the project. Applications must demonstrate that the assistant(s) will be employed in meaningful work that will develop northern-based research capacity. Applications will be assessed according their strengths in each of the five following areas: northern capacity building & community engagement, research design, outcomes for the research assistant(s), northern knowledge translation and budget. See the instruction sheet for further details.
Prior to preparing you application, please be aware that:
- No overhead costs will be covered by this grant. If proposed, any overhead costs will be subtracted from the value of the award (examples of overhead costs: institutional administrative fees, travel expenditures to-from the NWT);
- If additional resources are required, grants may be conditional upon securing all required funding;
- Incomplete and/or late applications will not be considered;
- For this program, a NWT resident is defined as a person who has lived more than half of his/her life in the NWT; and
- International applicants are welcome, but may only accept funding through their home institution or a partner institution in the NWT.
Applications are to be submitted via email to email@example.com. The deadline for applications is midnight (MST) January 15th.
For more information, please contact the Manager, Scientific Services.