I’m a qualitative researcher with broad interests, including nursing philosophy and science, nursing ethics, women’s health, culture and health, the scholarship of teaching, evaluation, and health promotion. My research is grounded in over thirty years of nursing practice in the Northwest Territories, including experience in administration, education, and research. I contribute to northern knowledge about maternal-child health, Indigenous health, and rural and remote health.
Click to view my CV
- SPOR Evidence Alliance
- Emergency Protection Orders
- Domestic Homicides
- Rural and Remote Nursing II
Aurora College researchers study birthing experience for women travelling to Yk
Aurora College Research Associate and Retired Instructor wins National Award
- Mehus, G., Bongo, B. A., Engnes, J. I., & Moffitt, P. M. 2019. Exploring why and how encounters with the Norwegian health-care system can be considered culturally unsafe by North Sami-speaking patients and relatives: A qualitative study based on 11 interviews. International Journal of Circumpolar Health, 78(1), 1612703. doi.org/10.1080/22423982.2019.1612703
- Moffitt, P and S. Cruz. 2019. Grandmothers’ breastfeeding stories to mothers: a knowledge translation gift. Atlas of Science.
- Ingemann, C., Kvernmo, S., Møller, H., Moffitt, P. M., Tagalik, S., Kuhn, R. L., ... & Larsen, C. V. 2019. Symposium on “parental education” at the ICCH17. International Journal of Circumpolar Health, 78(1), 1604062. doi.org/10.1080/22423982.2019.1604062
- Northern and Indigenous Health and Healthcare. Free Ebook. https://openpress.usask.ca/northernhealthcare/
- MacLeod M, Kulig J, Steart N, Anguish P, Andrews ME, Banner D, Garraway L,…Moffitt P,…Van Pelt L, Wilson E, and Zimmer L. 2017. Nurses who work in rural and remote communities in Canada: A national survey. Human Resources for Health 15: 34. doi: 10.1186/s12960-017-0209-0.
- Gill DP, Blunt W, Bartol C, Pulford RW, DeCruz A, Simmavong PK, Garvarkovs A, Newhouse I, Pearson E, Ostenfeldt B, Law B, Karvinen K, Moffitt P, Jones G, Watson C, Zou G, and Petrella RJ. 2017. HealtheStepsTM study protocol: A pragmatic randomized controlled trial promoting active living and healthy lifestyles in at-risk Canadian adults delivered at primary care and community-based clinics. BMC Public Health 17: 173.doi:10.1186/s12889-017-4047-8
- Bradbury C, Starks S, Durnford K, and Moffitt P. 2016. Nurse educators collaborate in a pan-territorial approach to develop a community development learning opportunity. Northern Review 43: 117-128.
- Moffitt P. 2016. Mobilizing decolonized nursing education at Aurora College: Historical and current considerations. Northern Review 43: 61-81.
- Moffitt P, and Dickinson R. 2016. Creating exclusive breastfeeding knowledge translation tools with First Nations mothers in Northwest Territories, Canada. International Journal of Circumpolar Health 75:10.3402/ijch.v75.32989 .
- Kulig JC, Kilpatrick K, Moffitt P, and Zimmer L. 2015. Recruitment and retention in rural nursing: it’s still an issue! Journal of Nursing Leadership 28: 40-50.